Sunday, October 10, 2010

After Hours in Union Sq

Dear New York, why do all the interesting people meet up on one Saturday night every month?

Amanda and I left a bar we had been hanging out at and traveled from Brooklyn to Manhattan, slowly because you decided that all the trains had to have work done so they couldn't run. We were going to hangout in Union Square because we somehow came to the decision that interesting things always happen there. (We haven't been wrong yet but that's not important.)

After getting McDonald's (Wendy's was closed), we sat down to watch everyone coming and going and over all just chilling in Union Sq. There were a bunch of bmx bikers doing some awesome tricks, some skateboarders whom probably had some sort of death wish, some dancers, some people doing handstands up and down the stairs, and a gathering crowd of hip hop enthusiasts and spoken word artists. Nothing new right? Well the rappers, gather once a month just to rap. They call it a cyphor and they love meeting new people who might rap with them.

Here is the conversation Amanda had with one:
Rapper: Can I have a hug?
Amanda: Yeah I guess...
Rapper: Can we make it intimate?
Amanda: Sure I guess.

Needless to say, they like that we came to watch them again and wanted us to rap with them. However, neither Amanda nor I rap so that was a no can doobie doobie do. But when I got home at 5 in the morning I was delirious with exhausted and mildly inspired enough to write this poem.

This girl that I know.
was neither here nor there,
She was life.
She just flowed,
through my fingers,
I couldnt quite keep with her pace.
For she reached past the stars
and took off
into space.
I tried to follow,
tried to run,
...and run,
....and run,
Because I was like the moon,
on an endless chase
after the sun.

Insane right? Dear NY, you have some very interesting people hanging out in Union Sq.

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment